Thursday, June 21, 2007

Knitting in Denial: A Play in Two Acts

by stephanie

Act One
Scene One

Curtain rises on a lone yarn cake, spotlight slowly reveals a beautiful hank of Cherry Tree Hill, color slate.



Enter the knitter. Working diligently on her socks. Light upbeat music faintly in background.


Knitter: The plan, knit a gorgeous pair of hand knit socks. The pattern, hedera




Knitter: Oh cth how I love the way you slide effortlessly across my needles.

Stage lights dim. Low, foreboding music begins to rise.

Knitter: How about we try you on, you've been a bit snug, but I know that your beautiful lace will expand. Let's just play it safe, you know my pal's feet are a little bigger than mine.

Music crescendos. Lights dim lower. Knitter slumps further into the overstuffed couch.

Knitter: Hmmm...where did that sweater I was working on go?

Act One
Scene Two

Knitter sits happily on overstuffed couch, legs crossed, ipod playing.

Knitter: Oh ivy, how soft and fluffy you are. You set my mind at ease. Even though your gauge is off, my expert knitty math keeps me confident that you will become a wonderful work-appropriate knit cardigan.

Stage lights dim, low foreboding music begins to rise.

Knitter: Hmmm...something doesn't feel right.


Knitter: (sniffling) You have GOT to be kidding me. Goddamn Goldilocks...sock to small, sleeve to big. Argh.

Act Two
Scene One

Curtain rises on the knitter, cross-legged on the overstuffed couch, knitting in hand.

Knitter: (taking deep breath) Alrighty then...goodbye beautiful.

Knitter begins to not-so-carefully rip out the sock.


Knitter: Alrighty, a fresh start. Let's add in an extra repeat, that should give us almost an inch to the sock and plenty of room for my pal's well deserving foot.

Knitter: Well, since we don't want a repeat of last week, lets give her a try on and see.

Stage lights dim, low foreboding music begins to rise.

Knitter: F*@#, f*@#, f*@#.


End scene.

7 comments:

s b said...

What a tragedy!! :)

Anonymous said...

i felt i needed popcorn!

Ana said...

What a tragedy but it had me giggling at the end! I had no clue how the story would end! Although, you did leave me wondering what happened to the too big sleeve?

Anonymous said...

Are you going to give the yarn a bath, to compensate it for its patience in being frogged and reknit twice? And if so, are you going to document that act of the drama?

stephanie said...

ana - the too big sleeve is still in it's same precarious state. it will need to be ripped back to the cuff (which with the twisted/cably pattern) fits just fine. i am however, more concerned about getting a move on with my sockpal's socks.

mouse - i've thought about it. my cth, compared to sarahs is much more tightly plied, so it's actually done well with the frogging. i think i might cast on with the next size needle and see how it looks, it may however need a good bath and if i can remember to take pics during the day i will (unlike the horribly dark pics in the post...ugh). i do think i'll also be giving the sleeve a good soak.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

I'm also doing Hedra! Isn't it a great pattern? But be careful - the construction with the twisted stitch going down along the sides of the instep really needs an even number of pattern repeats.

So I've added 2 repeats and gone down to size 0 needles.

YTT said...

Since many tragedies are in five acts, I am not only weeping from this beginning but in a state of anguished suspense over the continuation.

But I hope this one has a surprise happy ending.