Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Garden...

We have been having an amazing summer here in Buffalo this year. Lots of sun and temperatures in the high 70's and I truly feel bad for all the folks that have been soaked with rain and scorching heat. Our great weather has fortunately coincided with my inordinate desire to garden, resulting in what I would consider (and I use this term lightly) successful results.



It all began at some point this spring when Sarah gave me a book on square foot vegetable gardening. This book for some reason made me decide to grow vegetables this year. Now, after my Tomato famine of 2006, I swore to never again plant another food producing plant in my garden again. You water it, weed it, and in the end get one f*@&^!# tomato. For the amount of time I put into that damn plant I felt I had better get at least enough to make some salsa.

So, this year when the urge to plant a tomato and (gasp) a cucumber, and zucchini plant I tried to suppress it. But it was Sarah and her sprightly encouragement that made me reconsider. So far the stars have been in alignment and everything had been going well. I had an early aphid scare which I quickly got under
control with an organic pest control product, and (although I dare not say it out loud) am on target for a bumper crop of tomatoes, both heirloom and common, cucumbers and zucchini.

Also my flower beds in the front of my house and the lilies on the side of my porch are looking great.



It is difficult to see in the photo but my Cosmos and Cleome are over three feet high. I love them because the reseed themselves each year. The less work the better, and my Hydrangea,thanks to my grandmother's advice are looking better then ever.


Thanks Grandma...

3 comments:

Saffron said...

Beautiful garden you have there. :) I admire people who have the patience to garden. :)

Unknown said...

I knew you were ripe to return to the fold of food-growers! Although you conveniently left out the green beans...
Flowers look 100% better than mine this year- the oriental lillies are dead (the mystery dog incident) and my hydrangeas have never flowered since I moved in- in fact, a couple of the littler bushes look dead/half dead)
Anyhow- good on you.

Christian said...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the four beans I got from my bush bean plant...um, I'm so full, I don't think I could eat another bean